The former federal deputy Alexandre Ramagem (PL-RJ) was released in the United States on Wednesday (15), after two days detained in Orlando, Florida.
According to TV Globo, American authorities said he was released at 14:52 local time (15:52 in Brasília). The Federal Police (PF) says it awaits further official details about the release.
Ramagem had been taken on Monday (13) to a detention center in Orange County. On Wednesday, his name no longer appeared on the detention list at the facility nor in the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) system.
According to the PF, the arrest occurred for migratory reasons.
The former deputy left Brazil in 2025, after being sentenced by the Supreme Federal Court (STF) to 16 years in prison for attempted coup d’état. Investigations indicate that he was part of the central core of the plot that sought to keep former President Jair Bolsonaro (PL) in power.
According to the PF, Ramagem left the country clandestinely, crossing the border from Roraima with Guyana before heading to the United States.
In January this year, the Ministry of Justice informed the STF that the extradition request for Ramagem had been forwarded to the American government. The Brazilian Embassy in Washington sent the documentation to the Department of State on December 30, 2025.
Allies said that he intended to seek political asylum in the United States, while Minister Alexandre de Moraes determined the inclusion of his name on the Interpol list, allowing detention by foreign authorities.
In December, the Chamber of Deputies revoked his mandate and canceled his diplomatic passport. By order of the STF, there was also a block on parliamentary salaries.
As a Federal Police delegate, he gained prominence by heading Bolsonaro’s security in 2018 and commanded ABIN in the government, a period today the subject of investigations in the “Parallel ABIN” case.