The United States will send another 5,000 soldiers to Poland, said the American president, Donald Trump, on Thursday.
Trump, in a post on Truth Social, cited his relationship with the nationalist-conservative president of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.
The announcement was made two days after the U.S. vice president, JD Vance, told reporters that the deployment of American troops to Poland had been delayed.
The United States had been reevaluating its troop presence in Europe, and for a long time it was expected that it would be reduced after Trump’s demands that NATO take on a larger role in defending Europe.
“Based on the successful election of the current president of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, which I had the pride of supporting, and on our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the U.S. will send more 5,000 soldiers to Poland,” Trump said in the post.
Trump hosted Nawrocki at the White House in May of last year and supported him at a crucial moment before the Polish election, in which Nawrocki defeated the candidate from the pro-European and centrist party of the Polish prime minister, Donald Tusk.
He met Nawrocki again at the White House in September and said, at the time, that the U.S. could increase its troop presence in Poland and pledged to guarantee the defense of the country.